Now Playing Tracks

Mind exercise…counts.

Tonight, I gave in.  To the sheer exhaustion of a very long week (big event at work, deadline for job #2, stepson had minor surgery, son brought home bummer report card, adjusting to time change which=driving home in dark, etc, etc).  Crashed when I got home.  Tried to get up around 7:30, but felt dizzy and nauseous. Given that I feel fine now, think it was just my body’s way of slam dunking me back down for some much needed rest.  

By time I crawled out of bed, I decided to skip the HIIT tonight and go for a mind work out.  Caught up on some painting I’ve been meaning to do.  Bought a framed canvas awhile back with the intent of repainting.  While I went in with a more elaborate idea, once I did layers of two whites and a gray, it felt good to me.  Maybe it’s my mood.  I look at it and all I see is winter.  

In real life you see more texture and layers to it.  I swear I’m not just being lazy; my son and husband both dug it as-is.  I also repainted the frame a deep red with a layer of ORB (oil rubbed bronze) over it.  Both Krylon spray paint.  Tomorrow when it’s all dry I’ll see if it all works together.

Frame Before; love the detail but not the gold:

Frame in transition:

I’ll post an after tomorrow once everything is dry and put together.  That is, if I like the combined effect.  The frame might end up in a totally different direction.  Worried it is too much contrast for my Winter piece…don’t want to distract from the gloom. ;-)  Also started on a paint on glass project I’ve been meaning to do forever.  But…yawn…that will have to wait for another time.

And After (from bullets to bench)

I’m really happy with how the ammunition box upcycle went.  Here’s the final product:

To get the height, we measured where other deck chairs fell and made my son pretend sit on it as we held it just to be sure (that part wasn’t very scientific, but it was funny to watch).  After putting the legs on each side, we decided crossbars that connected the legs and cradled the box would add some extra support.  End result is a rustic look that I like, plus it serves double duty as storage and cost next to nothing:

  • Ammunition Box - $5 at yard sale
  • Spray Paint - $1 at ReStore (aka, best place on earth for scavengers)
  • Poly - $0 left by previous homeowner
  • Legs - $0 found wood as we cleaned the garage, prob from previous owner

So, under $10 for our new “custom” bench.  Plus, was nice bonding for the hubby & I.  The parts involving power tools were all him!  I’m the scavenger & idea person. :)  Ok, time to go test out the new bench.  Have to see if it can hold my weight along with a frosty Hoptober.  (Yikes, is it REALLY time for fall beers already???)

In Over My Bed

How did my son end up sleeping on a foam mattress, on the floor for the last year?  The story starts with a teen boy who wanted to upgrade from a twin to a full size bed.  And a doting grandmother ready to buy him the bed of his choice, on one condition: he had to clean his room first.  

Please understand, this was no normal undertaking.  This is a child who would rather sleep with a dirty dish hidden under a pillow than have it be seen and have to wash it.  I exaggerate, but barely.  Still, he seemed eager for the carrot on the end of the stick.  I listed his bed on Craigslist and found a buyer for the frame, but not the mattress.  

Bed BeforeFast forward a year and a new house later.  The mess has moved with him.  Sloth has won over comfort.  A thrift store find has me trying a new tactic.  Buy the bed and he will come around. 

This headboard is very similar to the $400 one that he wanted from Ikea.  Except that it is decades older, a washed out yellow color and $35.   Um, sold.   I’d even just picked up some dark gray spray paint at ReStore the other day.  Deal!  We’ll still Ikea-bound for the mattress, though, courtesy of doting grandmother.

He’s been eager to move the project along, helping to sand and paint.  However, his design vision means that there are parts I need to do and it’s become a multiday project.  

Here’s where we are so far.  Main color is charcoal gray.  Inside cabinets and the doors are black— the black is all chalkboard paint, so my doodle-happy son can write on it.  We’ll be getting new knobs.  The trim that remains yellow will eventually be the same red that I’ve done the top strip.  I just need more tape and patience to finish that part.  I’ll get on it as soon as that room is clean…

We make Tumblr themes